Tuesday, April 24, 2007

and the sun is still sleepy warm too



i'm not an early riser by nature. i love me my bed. but the past couple of mornings i've been up shortly after the sun, and i can see why people do it. on the back deck with a coffee and the wet smell of night's end, the muted citysounds, and the chipper conversations of starlings and those ubiquitous little brown birds whose names i have never known. even if it's all an illusion, it's peaceful out there.

i once had a cat stevens album that got stuck in my car tape deck for an entire summer (cat's greatest hits on one side, and paul simon's graceland on the other). i couldn't listen to either for years thereafter, i was so sick of them. and while this isn't my favourite tune, it's apt. and this morning has got me feeling so expansive, that even if it isn't, and even if it's cheesy and maybe a little too christian-like, i'm gonna post it.


cat stevens - morning has broken


2 comments:

jen said...

i hate getting up early - but i love *being* up early

The Angry Lamb said...

I love this song. I wanted to have it as part of my mother's funeral, but my brother squelched it because "he never has liked the song since Cat Stevens became a terrorist." I said, you mean MUSLIM? He's NOT a terrorist." But you can see how this battle was lost from the start.

I love being up early too. And once upon a time i naturally got up early. I'm hoping that returns one day.